FIND ME ON FACEBOOK

Saturday, January 8, 2011

In My Expert Opinion



Have you ever had some one reach out to you, asking you you for help, because at that moment you're probably the only person they know with experience in whatever they are asking you for? Now, what if that person was a teenager or a child? That maybe they haven't reached that point in their life where they have all the "professional" connections that they are sure to create later in life. As many of you know I have a catering company and we operate out of my old high school. We provide the breakfast and lunch programs and cater all private events the school holds.... But it's a lot more than that.... As a former student at the school I see a lot of myself in these kids... The "I know everything" attitude with the scared shitless look in their faces. Thinking the world is yours for the taking and then feeling completely lost in it at the same time.

I am not a licensed counselor, but I am a mentor at the school and coach as well.... I don' think of myself as a person with a wealth of knowledge that is ready to lead the youth of tomorrow. What I do consider myself is honest. And I will tell you the truth about the few things I do have knowledge about. See, I think these kids are just looking for some guidance in their lives. We don't need to hold them by their hands and take them where they need to be, but we do need to give them them some direction and instill in them the confidence to achieve their goals.

There are a couple of the guys that have graduated over the last couple of years that I speak to every so often. All are in college and all are doing the best they can with school and life. I've had to talk a couple of them off of the roof a couple times, even though when they were students in high school I wanted to push them off the roof. Still do for one of them actually.... But life is hard, especially when you are just really starting it.... And for these kids to continually turn to me to ask me just about everything that can come into their still developing brains, means a lot....

I had a conversation with one a little while ago where he asked me how to go about opening a restaurant in NYC..... and I started listing all the different categories of items he would need from silverware to permits and insurances and everything under the sun..... when I was done about 15 minutes later..... all he could say was, "Wow!" I asked his interest and he shared with me the back story as to why he asked me. And when I gave him websites to check out for different food purveyors and even a contact for a food broker he seemed very appreciative about it. That maybe if he asked some one else, they would have pushed him and his idea to the side as if it were just a pipe dream. I would give you as much information as I can and let you know, if this is what you want to do, this is what you need to do it and find out their interest in it. Maybe my conversation makes him go back and open the next "'Per Se" or "Minetta Tavern". Or maybe he decides it interests him more to eat good food, but not deal with the business aspect of it. So, instead, he learns how to shop for locally grown produce and and organic products to throw a dinner party for friends.

These kids can surprise you and even the little bit of knowledge we may have on a subject can steer them in the right direction... So, become an expert at life.... Thats means make all the mistakes you can and learn from them... And if you have an opportunity to learn something new, even just a little, take it.... You'll be better for it and the child you hopefully pass that knowledge on to will be as well....

*Dedicated to all the Raiders from Rice HS.... Goosey-G... hope the convo answered your questions young brotha.....

And as always blog friends......
Talk to you soon....


No comments:

Post a Comment