FIND ME ON FACEBOOK

Monday, June 20, 2011

They Say He Boojie, He Big Headed....

Wow, it feels like it has been over a year since I have last written one of these... A lot of events have happened since then and of course I am going to do my best to share them all with you..... First, if this is your first time reading my blog, welcome... On these pages are stories of my life, shared opinions, battles of the sexes and just as the title says, a hodgepodge of an array of an assortment.... If you're a returning reader, thank you for coming back.... I really do appreciate it.... With that said, here we go....

The Urban Dictionary Definition of Boojie = Fancy. Derived from the French word bourgeoisie which means middle class. They were never content on being middle class and strived for the best, the upper "fancy"' class.Therefore Boojie = Fancy.... or Wannabe fancy..

When I graduated college in 2003, I tried really hard to get a job back home in NYC, but wasn't able to. Instead, I interviewed for positions out in the South Jersey/Philadelphia area and landed a position at Drexel University. Through my job I was afforded the opportunity to eat at some really nice restaurants throughout the city and even ate at a really fancy restaurant located in Rittenhouse Square. With these new experiences, I saw what it was like to pay a pretty penny for meals I would normally not be able to pay for on my own.... The restaurant in Rittenhouse was very good, 5 courses in total: Appetizer, Salad, Palate Cleanser, Main Course and Dessert. Now, that sounds like  lot of food and if you know me, I am a food addict. But sadly, this was a fancy high end restaurant, so all the servings were made for human beings... DAMNIT, I'M AMERICAN! I WANT MY FOOD SUPER-SIZED! Big Steaks, Big sides of potatoes, 2000 calorie desserts and buffalo styled whatever with bowls of ranch dressing! Feed me!!!! So On my way home, I stopped off at McDonalds and tore into the dollar menu.....

Now, just because I have had a couple of meals in some fancy shmancy places, it no way makes me ready to take over the "Food Review" section of the New York Times.... It just means I was lucky enough in life to have some great dining experiences (even if I wound up in a drive thru window afterwards).... While in Philadelphia I also made some great friends and met a great girl too... She was best friends with a girl from St. Lucia. Miss St. Lucia had a lot of friends from the Caribbean. They came off to me as a little stuck up and unfriendly, unless you were part of the clique of course. And even then, I could see the hate in their eyes as they would try to climb the ladder out of poverty and up to success. They were boojie to say the least.

I have known people from the islands for years. My mom used to work with a group of them for more than 20 years. And these people were so cool and friendly. We've gone to their houses for BBQ's and even to the small restaurant one of them opened. So, I am not stereotyping people from the islands as boojie, just that group of friends from Miss St. Lucia.....

I guess one of them was having a birthday and decided she wanted to go to the new "'hot spot" in Philly, some soul food place that will remain nameless... We get there and are told there is an hour and a half wait. Now anyone hearing that would have a couple things come to mind: 1. The place is really popular and 2. The food must be that damn good..... Well, i guess one out of two isn't bad.... Too bad it was the first one and not the second... I got the menu and ordered my favorites: The Southern Friend Chicken, Macaroni and Cheese and Collard greens..... Everyone at my table basically ordered the same thing... Uh, some body cue the Sugar Hill Gang please, because "My Macaroni's Sour, the Greens all Mush and the Chicken tastes like wood!" DISGUSTING MEAL! And I had to pay $25 for this menace to my lower intestines!!! But what astonished me the most were the group of "boojie birds" sitting all around me! "Oh this meal is amazing! This chicken is so tender and succulent! The vegetables compliment everything so well and add a splash of color to the arrangement!" WHAT THE FUCK?!?!?! Come on son, come on son.... This meal wouldn't be served in public schools... The only reason I even ate it was because I was paying for this shit! I looked at my then girlfriend and she was joining in with the Boojie Birds... I just shook my head and when we left, I made a bee-line towards the nearest Drive thru.... I needed something to take the taste of yuck from my mouth... pause.....

So, not much later, about 3 weeks or so, there was another birthday.... I forget who's exactly nor do I care to remember. All I know is we were headed to another "'hot spot" in Philly... I wish people would stop reading about what others think about a particular place and using that as part of their own opinion.... Make up your own mind on things and maybe you'll know what it is to not be a slave to "trends". Whatever. So we wind up at a Latin American restaurant. The place was decorated very nicely, lots of colors and a well dressed staff. So, to my mind I'm thinking, yea, this can actually be decent. Was I ever wrong...

The menu reminded me of all the Spanish restaurants here in NYC.... Rice, Beans, some type of meat, poultry or fish and plantains (platanos). Although they plated it nicely, it tasted like ordinary Spanish food... My steak and onions were extra dry, my beans had no taste and I didn't know Latin people ate sticky rice.... Dear god, why do we have to overcook everything?!?!?! Needless to say, I didn't enjoy my meal.... But, I forgot who  I was dining with. The Boojie Birds got at it again "Oh! This rice is superb. The beans have a rich intense flavor. You can almost feel the summer air breezing by as you bite into the salmon! And the drinks are a perfect blend where you don't taste alcohol, but just pure "sabor" (Spanish for flavor, and when you're boojie, you have to show you can speak another languge)!" My personal favorite comment was "Oh, the herbs and spices are just exploding in my mouth!"'

OK THAT'S IT! BITCH,  I GOT SOME EXPLOSIVE FLAVORS FOR YOUR MOUTH!!! This food is disgusting! I am paying $40 for a steak that costs me $12 back home! My rice should not resemble the shape of a snowball and the texture of chunky style glue! The gravy for my beans should not be clear and the beans themselves should not crunch! Holy shit! what is wrong with you people?!?!?! You're eating typical, everyday ethnic comfort food, are paying outrageous prices for it and acting like you've never eaten it before!!! Most of you grew up in grass huts where all you could afford were rice and beans! Fried chicken shouldn't taste like drywall and macaroni shouldn't smell like spoiled breast milk! What the hell?!?!?! Has the idea of trying to be more than you actually are clouded your judgement? When you look in the mirror, do you actually like what you see??? For the sake of all that is holy, get over yourselves, you're not that important!!!!

Now, all these thoughts ran through my mind and all would have been fine.... But, I actually said this out loud... And very loud...... Yup, I am the epitome of class... I slowly got up from the table, kissed my ex on the forehead, grabbed my coke n rum and waited at the bar.... As everyone left, I didn't even glance their way... I got in my car with the girlfriend, looked her in the eyes with my eyes full of sorrow and asked her quietly, "'Baby, where's the nearest drive thru?"

Talk to you soon.....



No comments:

Post a Comment